What is the most healthy food in the world?
In 2010, researchers at the Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, University of Oslo, Norway, decided to find out.
They analysed the total antioxidant content of a whopping 3,100 foods from around the world to discover which foods have the highest antioxidant content. [PMID: 20096093]
What did they find? "A plant-based diet protects against chronic oxidative stress-related diseases."
They created the "most comprehensive Antioxidant Food Database published and it shows that plant-based foods introduce significantly more antioxidants into human diet than non-plant foods."
This means a plant-based diet with high intake of fruits, vegetables, and other nutrient-rich plant foods may reduce the risk of oxidative stress-related diseases, such as diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, PCOS, and obesity.
How do they do this? Whole plant foods contain a special class of nutrients called Phytochemicals.
Most phytochemicals are antioxidants.
Antioxidants can eliminate free radicals and other reactive oxygen and nitrogen species - otherwise these reactive species contribute to most chronic diseases.
Which plant foods are the healthiest?
Here are the top three.
1. Herbs and spices seem to the top the list. They have the least calorie density and maximum antioxidant content per gram.
The highest antioxidant spice is cloves, topping the list at 465 mmol/100g, Cloves are followed by peppermint, allspice, cinnamon, oregano, thyme, sage, rosemary, and saffron, all in their dried form.
2. The next is berries. Can you believe the healthiest berry is an Indian berry? It is the humble amla, or nellikkai or Indian Gooseberry, coming in at 261.5 mmol/100 g of dried amla.
3. Green leafy vegetables. Did you know greens are the healthiest vegetables? Not just because they are green. They contain a rainbow of various colored phytochemicals. Chlorophyll happens to be on top, so they appear green. When a leaf fades, you can see it turn to red and yellow hues as the layers fade, one by one. Fresh greens actually contain a rainbow of hidden colors and nutrients. So, maybe greens should be called Rainbow vegetables!
Take Home Points:
- Whole Plant Foods are the most healthy food in the world by antioxidant content, according to a huge recent study in Norway.
- Spices, berries and greens are the top three healthiest food categories.
- Include more whole plant foods in your daily diet to improve your antioxidant status.
Try Plant Based Recipes at www.NutritionScience.in today! [It's a free course!]
Try Plant-based Meals and Special products at www.SampoornaAhara.com today!
Kickstart 2022 on a healthy note. What's your New Year Plan? Comment and tell me!